A major public space for the PAV
A major public space for the PAV
The Praille Acacias Vernets sector is bounded to the north by the Arve River, to the west by the hill of La Bâtie, to the south by the hill of Lancy and to the east by the city of Carouge. The site was formed by a former loop of the Arve River filled by the alluvial deposits of two small rivers, the Drize and the Aire, which were canalized and buried in the 1950s and 1960s and which currently cross the PAV underground.
The objectives of the Espaces Rivières project are :
- To open up the Aire and the Drize;
- To bring natural elements within the perimeter of the PAV;
- To act in the face of climate change and for the transition; - To create new public spaces that bring new uses and promote soft mobility.
The river as the common thread of the urban project
As of 2025, sections of the Aire and Drize rivers will be reopened. A step-by-step approach will enable the renaturation of the entire course of these two rivers through the PAV. Along the way, the Aire and the Drize will take on different forms and offer distinct atmospheres. Eventually, a whole network of public spaces will be woven, from the renatured rivers towards the interior of the districts, to the foot of the buildings and inside the courtyards.
The project is in its early stages and has yet to be designed:
- June 22, 2021: Launch of the consultation on the preliminary project (AVP) Espaces Rivières
- Until March 2022 : Realization of the preliminary project (AVP) by the ADR office and its partners
- 2022 : Investment bill
- From 2022 : Continuation of the consultation to accompany the Espaces Rivières project
- 2023 : Development of the project
- 2024-2030 : Launching of the works by stages
Starting today, activation spaces
Like the entire transformation of the PAV, the Espaces Rivières project will be carried out in stages between 2024 and 2050. Throughout this period, the perimeter will host temporary interventions and experiments aimed at testing new developments. The Cool City Boissonnas development, part of the Cool City project and planned to last 3 to 5 years on part of the current Boissonnas parking lot, constitutes the first intervention of this experimentation.
The Espaces Rivières project is an opportunity to discuss the future public spaces of the PAV, the place of water in the city, as well as the challenges of fighting and adapting to climate change. Throughout the elaboration process, meetings will be organized to inform the public and allow everyone to express their expectations and their vision of the river in the city.
How to participate?
- CONTRIBUTE, by participating in the ongoing debates and by attending our meetings
- SHARE this page, talk about it around you, allow as many people as possible to express themselves
The consultation events will be organized from June onwards, in the form of stands, workshops and field visits in the PAV sector. We strongly encourage you to participate in order to make your contribution. The objective is to collect your proposals, your remarks and to inform you about the future of the public spaces of the PAV.
During this phase of consultation (from June 2021 to February 2022), three key events are planned
- The launch of the consultation, on June 22, 2021, on the occasion of the inauguration of the Cool City Boissonas space
- Explore the river spaces, between October 14 and 22, 2021, during the Explore festival
- The presentation of the preliminary project, in February 2022, with a public meeting.